Hours: 8:30am to 4:30pm
We record many types of documents, including assumed names, agreements, deeds, deeds of trust, instruments of combination, maps, mortgages, powers of attorney, separation agreements, and satisfactions. Documents may be recorded in person or by mail. Only original documents (or certified copies) with the original signature can be recorded. We cannot give legal adice or help in preparing documents, nor do we have blank forms. We strongly suggest contacting an attorney if you are unsure of how to proceed.
Effective October 1, 2016, the fee for recording Deeds of Trust or Mortgages will be $64 for the first 35 pages plus $4 for each additional page. The new law can be viewed here.
Brunswick County Recording Requirements
- Payment of recording fees
- Name and address of preparer on first page
- Grantor's (seller) and grantee's (buyer) name and address on document
- All documents properly signed and notarized (notary seal must be clear and legible)
- All deeds are required to meet the tax certification notice before recording
- Payment of N.C. excise tax for deeds, calculated at $2 per $1000 of the sales price
- North Carolina Recording Standards must be met or additional fees will apply (see below)
- Check payable to BCROD. (Include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope for return.)
- Recording options:
- In person from 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, except holidays.
- By mail to BCROD, P.O. Box 87, Bolivia, NC 28422
- By FedEx, UPS, or other courier to BCROD, 75 Courthouse Drive, Bolivia, NC 28422
- For financial and legal companies, we also have eRecording available
North Carolina Recording Standards G.S. 161-14(b)
- Document should be on 8.5 x 11 or 8.5 x 14 inch paper
- Have a 3 inch blank top margin on the first page and a 1/4 inch blank margin on remaining sides of first page (bottom, left and right)
- Have a 1/4 inch blank margin on all remaining sides of subsequent pages (top, bottom, left and right)
- Be typed or printed in black on white paper
- Font size no smaller than 9 points
- Blanks in an instrument may be completed in pen
- Text must be typed or printed on one side of a page only
- State the type of instrument at the top of the first page, below the 3 inch blank margin
If instrument does not meet N.C. standards outlined above, Register of Deeds shall register the instrument after collecting a $25.00 fee for non-standard documents as required by GS 161-10(a)(19).
Requirements For Recording Maps (Plats)
- The size requirement for recording a plat in Brunswick County is 18 x 24 inches. Freestanding plats must have at least a 1½ inch border on the left side and at least a ½ inch border on the other three sides.
- A plat presented for recording shall be a reproducible plat, on film or mylar.
- Payment of recording fees
- G.S. 47-30.2 requires counties to designate review officers to review plats for compliance with all statutory requirements before the plats are registered. The Review Officer must affix his or her certification to the map.
Satisfaction of Deed of Trust or Mortgage
When a deed of trust or mortgage is paid in full, the bank or other party is responsible for recording the satisfaction (cancellation). There is no charge to record a satisfaction. Click here to view the North Carolina Satisfaction statute.
See manual .