Brunswick County ROD

Military Discharge

Military Discharges may be recorded in the Register of Deeds Office at no charge. Effective January 1, 2004, due to changes to North Carolina G.S.47-113.2., Military Discharge Records are considered public records with restricted access.

In accordance with the statute, the following parties are authorized to record or obtain copies of military discharge documents:

  1. The subject of the document or the subject's widow or widower
  2. Agents and representatives of the subject authorized in writing:
    • By the subject or subject's widow or widower in a notarized authorization,
    • By a court to represent subject, or
    • By the subject's executor acting on behalf of a deceased subject.
  3. Authorized agents of the Division of Veterans Affairs, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense, or a court official with an interest in assisting the subject or the deceased subject's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit.
  4. Agents or representatives of the North Carolina State Archives

The above parties must present a government issued picture identification in order to gain access.

For other questions concerning veterans or their families call Veteran Services at (910) 253-2233 or go to their website.